– in Theology of Marriage and the Family (STD)
– in Sciences on Marriage and the Family
1) Admission to the Doctorate
Students who in the overall evaluation of the Licentiate in Theology of Marriage and the Family or in Sciences on Marriage and the Family and in the thesis have not reached the qualification of magna cum laude, are normally not admitted to the Doctorate.
In addition to their own language, Latin and obviously Italian, students must know at least two modern languages, one among the neolatines, the other German or English, so that they understand well the subject read.
2) Order of Studies
In accordance with the Institute’s two areas of specialisation, the Doctorate in Theology of Marriage and the Family and in Science of Marriage and the Family stands out. The Doctorate is mainly devoted to the elaboration of the dissertation and lasts three years. In the first year of the course of study (cursus ad doctoratum), the Latin language course and two optional courses are compulsory, and special courses or exercises may also be arranged that are deemed necessary or appropriate to perfect the training required for scientific research with regard to the preparation of the doctoral dissertation. If, in the opinion of the President of the Pontifical Institute, the training of students who have obtained a degree in another Faculty or Institute is insufficient, it must be completed with courses chosen by the President.
3) Structure of the Doctorate
- Methodology of scientific research – (6 ECTS)
- Course characterizing the doctorate – (6 ECTS)
- Optional course 1 – (3 ECTS)
- Seminar 1 – (1.5 ECTS)
- Optional Course 2 – (3 ECTS)
- Seminar 2 – (1.5 ECTS)
- Optional course 3 – (3 ECTS)
- Seminar 3 – (1.5 ECTS)
- Optional course 4 – (3 ECTS)
- Seminar 4 – (1.5 ECTS)
- Foreign Language 3 – (1 ECTS)
- Latin – (3 ECTS)
4) Achievement of the academic degree
In the course of the Doctorate the calculation for the final qualification is as follows: 10% compulsory and optional courses of the Cursus ad doctoratum; 15% defense of the dissertation; 75% written dissertation.
The student will be awarded the title of Doctor of Sciences on Marriage and Family, after the thesis has been published in print in at least eighty copies, to be deposited at the Secretariat of the Institute, with the permission of the two teachers who submitted the thesis to the Section Council, to be granted only if it has been corrected according to the indications given.
The title “Pontificium Institutum Theologicum Joannes Paulus II pro Scientiis de Matrimonio et Familia apud Pontificiam Universitatem Lateranensem” must appear on the Diploma of the Academic Degree.
Dott.ssa Gabriella ESPOSITO
Tel: (+39) 06 698 95 536
* According to art. 89 of the Statutes, §1: “Students enrolled in the period of validity of the previous Order of studies, may choose to continue the educational path provided for therein, or proceed with the transition to the new Order, if this is possible without serious difficulty. §2: “The old curricula will become extinct after three years of the approval of the new order of studies.