DOCTORATE in Sacred Theology (STD)
with a specialization in
Sciences of Marriage and the Family
Director of Studies: Prof. JOSE GRANADOS
1. Those who possess a Licentiate in Sacred Theology, with at least magna cum laude, can be admitted to the Doctoral program.
2. Students that have completed the Licentiate in Sacred Theology (STL) at the Institute must attend four seminars (one each semester; in exceptional cases, up to three the first year) which are to be chosen from among those indicated below.
Students that have not completed the Licentiate in Sacred Theology (STL) at the Institute may be requested, upon the judgment of the Director of Studies, to attend other courses and other seminars.
The seminars will take place only if there are five students registered. Each seminar can not have more than seven registered students.
3. Admission to the second year is dependent upon the knowledge of at least three of the following languages (excluding one’s native language): English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish. This knowledge is to be demonstrated either by documentation or by passing a language exam at the Institute, which will consist in the reading and immediate translation of a brief text.
4. The student who, after the second year of courses, has not finished all of the exams or seminars and is not able to present the thesis for defense by the following winter session must register as out-of-course students.
The student who has concluded all of the exams and seminars foreseen by his course schedule, and must complete only the doctoral defense, has five years to present the thesis. During these five years, he must be registered as a student every academic year as student “in attesa di grado”, by means of the procedure established by the Secretariat of the Institute.
Norms for the doctoral thesis
1. By the end of the first year, the candidate, who will have chosen a director from among the Institute’s professors, with whom he or she will have agreed upon a theme for his or her thesis, will present an outline of this thesis to the Session Council to be approved. The moment in which the Council approves the outline, the title of the thesis will be added to the list of the theses in progress. Furthermore, the Council will nominate a second Reader upon the proposal of the Director of Studies.
2. The candidate will stay in close contact with the first Reader for the entire duration of the drafting of the thesis, during which he or she may also avail himself of the counsel of the second Reader.
3. With the completion of the drafting of the thesis and the approval of both Readers, the Session Council, on the basis of a summary drawn up by the student and the written judgment of the two Readers, previously sent to the members, expresses by means of a vote its acceptance according to the norms of article 66 of the Statutes, eventually having heard experts from outside the Session Council.
4. Once the acceptance of the Council has been obtained, the public defense will take place after the candidate has turned in six hard copies and a PDF copy of the thesis to the Secretariat. These copies must be checked by the Readers in order to verify that all of the indications, which are the conditions of possibility for the acceptance of the thesis, have been integrated.
5. The Commission for the public defense is composed of the two Readers and of three other Professors, and expresses its evaluation in ninetieths, deciding whether or not to concede the “nulla osta” needed to publish the thesis. The chairman is usually the President of the Institute or else is a Professor, not among the Readers, nominated by the President.
6. One has earned the title of the Doctorate with all of its rights (“doctor declaratus”) when, having published the text with all of the necessary authorizations, he or she brings 80 copies to the Secretariat.
The student, who has obtained from the Commission a favorable opinion regarding publication (either total or partial) of the thesis, must deliver to the Secretariat, before the final publication, three copies of the final draft of the publication (corrected and paginated). This will allow him or her to obtain the nihil obstat from the two Readers and the imprimi potest from the President.
7. If permission to publish is granted, but only under certain conditions, the two Readers have the obligation to verify the fulfillment of the requests made by the Commission.
8. The final grade is calculated using the following formula:
– The grade of the thesis: 80%
– The grade of the doctoral defense: 10%
– The average of the doctoral seminars: 10%
When there are decimals, grades inferior to 0.5 are rounded down; grades equal to or superior to 0.5 are rounded up.
The publication of the doctoral dissertation
a) The book must have the format either 17 x 24 or 15 x 21 (in cm); the cover must be of a serious color, without illustrations; at the top of the title page should be: “Pontificium Institutum Theologicum Joannes Paulus II pro Scientiis de Matrimonio et Familia apud Pontificiam Universitatem Lateranensem”, and underneath “Thesis ad Doctoratum in S. Theologia cum specializatione in scientiis de Matrimonio et Familia”; thus: the first and surname of the candidate, the title of the thesis; at the bottom: “Romae” with the year of the edition. On the other side of the title page should be the nihil obstat granted by the Commission and the imprimi potest given by the President.
b) If it is an excerpt, at the top of the cover and the title page of the excerpt should be: “Pontificium Institutum Theologicum Joannes Paulus II pro Scientiis de Matrimonio et Familia apud Pontificiam Universitatem Lateranensem”; then the name and surname of the candidate, the title, and underneath: “Excerptum theseos ad Doctoratum in S. Theologia cum specializatione in scientiis de Matrimonio et Familia”, and then the other typographical notes. On the other side of the title page should be the imprimi potest. There must also be: the index of the excerpt, specifying the number of pages; the introduction of the thesis; the chosen chapters; the conclusion; the bibliography; and the index of the whole thesis, without specifying the number of pages. The excerpt can not be less than fifty published pages, from a part of the work as a whole.
c) In order to publish the thesis as part of the Institute’s collection, it is necessary to have achieved the Doctorate with the grade Summa cum laude, with the positive opinion expressed by the final written judgment of the Commission regarding the degree; to obtain the permission of the Director of the Collection and to follow the specific norms of the Institute for publications.
Dott.ssa Gabriella ESPOSITO
Tel: (+39) 06 698 95 536